This Topic File accompanies the film «Whale Rider». Pupils will get to know Pai, a young girl from New Zealand who challenges the past and finds hope in the future. They will hear about how she stands up agains a thousand years of tradition. They will learn about some of the customs and the traditions of the Maoris, the indigenous people of New Zealand.
- watch extracts from the film «Whale Rider»
- find out about the Maoris of New Zealand
- discuss role models in Maori society and in other communities
They also ...
- read a traditional mythical story of the Maoris
- write comments about the film
- organise a Whale Rider event
They practise and consolidate ...
- the vocabulary of the topic of indigenous people
- the use of «many, lots of, a lot of, some, a few»
- the use of modal verbs such as «should» and «will»
Link to Whale rider film website
Wikipedia article about The Whale rider